|The origins of Mercatello sul Metauro, from the river Metauro on the threshold of the Appennines, date back to the XII century thanks to the Umbri (ancient Italic population). Today’s urbanistic structure is still the original medieval town planning.
Within the old city centre, preserving its medieval features, the wide Garibaldi square was built in the XIX century. Here, you can admire Palazzo Gasparini (XVII century), Pieve Collegiata (preserving some of the original romanic walls, X century, and the wall of its renovation in 1363), Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall Palace), built in the ‘70s of XIX century, to replace some buildings pulled down during the redefinition of the square.
Beyond the monuments in the square, Mercatello holds many other treasures, such as the gothic Saint Francesco’s Church (XIII century), Saint veronica’s nunnery and native house with a little museum beside, Santa Croce’s Church (XIV cent.) and Saint Clara’s Church (rebuilt in 1646), the Palazzo Ducale (XV cent) designed by Francesco di Giorgio Martini, Palazzaccio (XVI cent), Monte di Pietà (founded in 1516) with a sandstone portal showing Patient Christ.
Saint Francesco’s Church and the adjacent museum, located in some rooms of the old monastery, host a collection of paintings from XIII to XVII century.
Italian Touring Club awarded the town with the
Orange Flag Award (touristic and environmental quality award) “because of the care and homogeneity of the old city centre as well as the preservation of the natural and architectonic heritage…" .